Example Case Study –
Leadership Brand and Culture
- Local government organization, so they’d been around for a long time.
- 600 employees and 800 volunteers, they were a diverse council area and therefore the employees were spread over 20+ sites.
- 30 senior managers and executives.
- Community satisfaction ratings were lower than desired
- Employee engagement ratings were low, almost to the point of apathy.
- Leadership capability was not consistent
- Riding on the reputation of the past, they implemented a significant community innovation, and therefore they prided themselves on innovation, but this was not consistent and on a deeper look it was despite their business practices, not because of them.
- Transformation plan developed, that included a full review to the systems that were holding back their ability to be agile. HR systems, procurement systems, and leadership capability at all levels.
- Leadership Brand program (based on Dave Ulrich’s work) was designed and implement that ensured all levels in the organization had access to leadership development. All programs were designed and developed to support the leadership brand expectations.
- Using the LSI diagnostic from Human Synergistics, the leadership styles review showed a trend upwards for leadership capability.
- Using the ABEF – a marked increase in confidence in leadership, and people practices was recorded.
- Other indicators were in early stages but showed a reduction in undesirable turnover.
- A success indicator for the leadership programs, which wasn’t formally measured, was the number of participants who moved into higher level roles within 2 years of the program (approximately 35%).